Dallas Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer
Drivers in Dallas are faced with numerous distractions both inside and outside of their vehicles. However, being a responsible driver means preventing or avoiding these distractions to keep everyone safe. If another driver failed to do this and you were injured in an accident, a Dallas distracted driving accident lawyer can help.
You might be entitled to full compensation for your damages. Our Dallas car accident lawyers can help you build a strong case and fight for your rights. We only work on contingency, so you can begin working with us and not worry about upfront costs or fees.
To schedule a FREE consultation and get matched with the best attorney for your needs, call (214) 305-8277 or contact us online today.
Common Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents in Dallas
The most common distraction in Texas is using a cell phone while driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 2,841 deaths from auto accidents involving distracted driving in 2018. Cell phone use is a huge problem that leads to unnecessary injuries and deaths.
Drivers can use their cell phone to:
- Send or read text messages
- Send or check emails
- Make or receive phone calls
- Use social media
All of these actions should be saved until a driver is not operating a vehicle. However, too many drivers choose to use their phones while driving, leaving them very distracted on Dallas roads.
Besides cell phone use, other common types of distracted driving include:
- Eating or drinking
- Changing the radio
- Using a GPS system
- Grooming or putting on makeup
- Talking to passengers
- Tending to children or pets in the vehicle
Anything that prevents someone from putting their entire attention on the road can be considered distracted driving. Even a few seconds of inattention can easily lead to an accident.
Why Driving While Distracted Is So Serious
Many people are under the false assumption that they can multitask while driving. However, it’s impossible to completely focus on more than one thing at a time — especially while operating a huge, powerful motor vehicle.
Drivers routinely think they can handle texting while driving, talking on the phone while driving, eating and driving, or doing any other activity as they drive from one place to another. This is incredibly dangerous, and it’s a form of negligence.
If the driver who caused your accident was distracted right before the crash, they have been negligent. They were not upholding their legal duty to you (and everyone else on the road) to drive safely. A Dallas distracted driving accident lawyer can help you seek the compensation you deserve for the distracted driver’s negligence.
How Texas Responds to Distracted Driving
In 2017, the state of Texas put House Bill 62 into effect as a response to increasing rates of texting while driving. Under this bill, Texas drivers are prohibited from engaging in:
- Any form of texting, emailing, or messaging.
- The use of handheld devices while in school crossing zones.
- The use of any wireless communication devices if under the age of 18.
Drivers above the age of 18 who have learner’s permits also cannot use a handheld cell phone while driving within the first six months of driving. In addition, school bus drivers cannot use their cell phones at any time while driving a bus with children.
Although hands-free devices are still an option while driving in some situations, these alternatives are not harmless. Drivers should understand that any type of communication while driving can potentially be very distracting.
Why Choose Dallas Car Accident Lawyers for Help?
If you or a loved one were hurt in a distracted driving accident, we highly recommend reaching out to a lawyer as soon as you can. Our Dallas car accident lawyers bring our best to the table for each and every client:
- We specialize in car accident cases, such as distracted driving accidents, and we know what it takes to win.
- We work on a contingency fee, which means there are no legal fees for you unless we win.
- Our communication is what separates us from other law firms. We’ll make sure you’re informed throughout every step of your case.
- If you don’t have reliable transportation to come to us, we’ll come to you! We can meet you at whatever location and time is best for you.
We also always start with a FREE consultation to get to know you and answer your questions. Call us today at (214) 305-8277 or fill out one of our online forms to learn more during your FREE consultation.
Building and Filing a Successful Distracted Driving Accident Case
To have a successful case after a distracted driving accident, you’ll need to show that:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care.
- The driver breached their duty of care.
- The breached duty resulted in your accident.
- You suffered injuries and other damages because of the accident.
All drivers have a duty of care to act diligently and not put others in harm’s way. If someone chooses to drive while distracted, they have been negligent and endangered you and other drivers. This negligence is the key to any personal injury claim.
To seek compensation for the other driver’s negligence and your damages, you’ll need to file a personal injury claim with the driver’s insurance company. This is where things can get complicated, as the insurance company will look for ways to reduce what they have to pay you.
Your Dallas distracted driving accident lawyer will work to gather evidence, build a strong claim, and negotiate with the insurance company if they try to offer you less than you deserve. If a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer can help you bring your case to court. Thankfully, though, most distracted driving accident cases are settled well before needing to go to court.
Talk to a Dallas Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer During a Free Consultation Today
If a distracted driver caused your accident, you have rights. Our Dallas car accident lawyers can help protect those rights while fighting for the full compensation you deserve. To learn more, call us at (214) 305-8277 or contact us online and we’ll get you started with a FREE consultation and case evaluation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Should You Say To The Insurance Company After An Accident?
- Is Texas a No Fault State for Auto Accidents?
- How Should You Best Deal With The Insurance Companies After a Car Accident in Texas?
- Do You Need A Lawyer For A Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim In Dallas?
- If a Truck Driver or Delivery Driver Hits Me Can I Sue the Company in Dallas?