Dallas Uninsured Car Accident Lawyer
After a car accident in Dallas that you did not cause, you should be entitled to compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, vehicle repairs, and more. However, if the at-fault driver does not have insurance, getting the financial recovery you deserve is more complicated. You’ll want to work with a Dallas uninsured car accident lawyer for help.
Our Dallas car accident lawyers are here to assist you. We have helped countless car accident victims win what they deserve, even if the other driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage. To learn more, schedule a FREE consultation, and get matched with the best attorney for your needs.
To get your FREE, no-obligation consultation, call us at (469) 998-4069 or contact us online today.
How Uninsured Motorist Coverage Works in Dallas
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for your damages if the driver who hits you does not have insurance — or enough insurance — to cover your medical costs and vehicle repairs. This coverage also applies if you’re the victim of a hit and run accident since the driver who fled is treated as an uninsured driver.
According to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), insurance companies are required to offer you UM/UIM coverage. This coverage is optional, but you must tell the company in writing if you don’t want it. So, unless you specifically opted out of the coverage, you probably have it.
Personal Injury Protection Coverage
Texas drivers also have access to personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This coverage helps pay the medical bills for you and your passengers, your lost wages, and other non-medical expenses. Like UM/UIM coverage, you must tell your insurance company in writing if you don’t want PIP coverage — so you probably have it, too.
How to File an Uninsured Car Accident Claim
Uninsured motorist claims can be complicated, so we highly recommend consulting with an experienced lawyer. Here are the steps you must take to file a claim for compensation after an uninsured car accident:
- Obtain consent from the insurance company providing your UM/UIM coverage.
- Get a copy of the declarations page of your insurance policy showing how much coverage is provided.
- Send the declaration page and consent from the insurance company to the UM/UIM carrier.
- Send documentation of your medical bills and other damages to the UM/UIM carrier.
To set up your claim, you’ll also need the claims number from your insurance company, which you can usually find on your insurance card. After you file, the insurance company will investigate the details of your claim. They’ll provide a release form to obtain additional information, such as your medical records and payroll history.
When filling out release forms, be careful. The insurance company might try to get more information from you than they actually need, and that can actually be detrimental to your case. You’ll also want to ensure you have fully completed your medical treatment before filing your claim — otherwise, you might miss out on some compensation you deserve.
The only person you can really trust during the claims process is your attorney. You’ll want to be wary even of your own insurance company, as they care most about their bottom line. To get a FREE consultation and learn more, call (469) 998-4069 or contact us online today.
Your Options After You’re Injured in an Accident with an Uninsured Driver
The most obvious option after an uninsured car accident is filing an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company. However, there may be additional options, as well. It’s important to explore all of your options so that you can pursue the fullest recovery possible for your damages.
You might also be able to:
- Bring a claim against the uninsured driver. If the at-fault driver has some insurance coverage but not much, you can try to file a claim for the coverage they have. If the driver does not have any insurance, you can pursue compensation from their personal assets. Keep in mind, however, that most drivers without insurance have little assets to draw upon.
- Bring a third-party claim. Sometimes, a third party might be at fault for the accident. For example, if the at-fault driver was driving for their job when the accident happened, you might be able to make a claim against their employer. If the driver was drunk, you might be able to pursue compensation from a business that provided them with alcohol.
Your best option is to contact a Dallas uninsured car accident driver as soon as possible. They can consider all avenues and work to get you the fullest compensation you can. Even if the at-fault other driver has no insurance, you should not have to pay for their mistakes and negligence.
Thankfully, most car accident lawyers (like our Dallas lawyers) work on a contingency basis. That means there is no charge unless they win you compensation. So, you can get help with your uninsured car accident claim right away and not worry about the costs of legal help.
What if Your Dallas Uninsured Motorist Claim Gets Denied?
We’d all like to believe that our insurance companies have our best interests at heart. So, when you file an uninsured motorist claim, you expect your insurer to take care of you. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
All insurance companies are looking for ways to pay as little as possible on injury claims, including UM/UIM claims. If your insurance company denies your claim, they might be engaging in bad faith practices. According to Texas Insurance Code section 542.003, insurers are not allowed to engage in unfair settlement claim practices.
If your claim gets denied, you should speak with a trusted uninsured car accident lawyer right away. Your lawyer can determine whether or not the claim denial is justified, and they can immediately do what’s required to protect your rights.
Speak with a Dallas Uninsured Car Accident Lawyer for Free Today
Any car accident in Dallas can be devastating, but it’s especially stressful when you realize the driver has no insurance coverage. However, don’t let that stop you from pursuing the compensation you deserve. Our Dallas car accident lawyers will explore every avenue and work to get you the fairest recovery possible.
We do not charge you a fee unless we win you compensation, so there are no upfront costs to worry about when working with us. To get a FREE, no-risk consultation, call us at (469) 998-4069 or contact us online today.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take?
- Can I Get a Settlement for a Car Accident Without a Lawyer?
- Can You Sue A Hit And Run Driver in Texas?
- What Happens If You Get Injured In a Car Accident With a Lyft or Uber Driver?
- How Should You Best Deal With The Insurance Companies After a Car Accident in Texas?