What Should You Do If You Are Injured In A Bus Accident In Texas?
If you live in Texas and are injured in a bus accident, there are legal measures and resources available to you. The fact is, not all accident victims are directly involved in the circumstances leading up or contributing to the accident. The challenge with bus accidents can be their complexity. Determining fault can be tricky as can be dealing with the insurance companies afterward.
During this period, you might benefit from consulting with an experienced bus accident lawyer in Dallas to find out the particulars for your specific case. In more general terms below, we will outline some options for you after a bus accident injury.
Bus Travel and Characteristics
Statistically speaking, bus travel is relatively safe. Buses are large vehicles designed to meet passenger protection specifications. Below are a few bus characteristics which set them apart from smaller, more commonly manufactured and operated vehicles:
- Buses are usually operated by trained professionals, whose chief concern is the safety of their passengers. Unlike most motorists, a bus driver can typically be counted upon to have undergone some degree of special vehicle operation training.
- Buses are relatively slow-moving vehicles. Speed being a common denominator in the realm of automobile accidents, a slower vehicle is generally a safer vehicle.
- Buses are heavy, which itself yields a certain protective quality for occupants.
Having acknowledged these aspects of bus design and operation, it is important to note a handful of notable vulnerabilities:
- Most buses lack the safety features typically found in automobiles. Passengers are generally not safeguarded by a seatbelt, nor is an airbag waiting to deploy in the event of a collision.
- Buses feature lower top speeds than most smaller vehicles. They are also very slow to accelerate. Even a situation in which the driver has identified a potential threat may prove difficult to fully neutralize if the vehicle cannot be made to outrun, for instance, an impending collision.
- Buses are large targets. Like any sizable object, a bus can find itself subject to damage which might miss a smaller object. In other words, that same size which serves to protect occupants can also amount to a liability.
- A bus can tip over given the right (or wrong) circumstances, though they are engineered to remain upright under severe strain. Once again, passengers are not afforded overly much in the way of protection should that end up happening.
One unavoidable aspect of accidents (no matter their cause) is that they take shape in unpredictable ways. They also tend to happen suddenly. Between those two characteristics, bus accidents are uniquely volatile for their victims. Injuries can range from the mild to the lethal.
Another consideration is the fact that correctly assigning responsibility for a given bus accident can be highly difficult. Nevertheless, concern should and most often does lie with the victims. Determining what they are owed and by whom is where legal counsel comes into play.
General Actions to Keep in Mind
As is true of most accidents, a bus accident can overwhelm those involved. Senses become distorted, confusion sets in, and injured or shocked individuals are prone to feeling disoriented. Once you have seen to the safety and stabilization of yourself and your fellow passengers, it is important to closely assess the situation. Reliable accounts of the circumstances leading up to and following a bus accident will be of invaluable help to the ensuing legal process. Much goes into evaluating liability and the like. That evaluation is key to properly helping and compensating injured parties.
Making Your Wellbeing the Priority
No company or individual on earth is in the business of undoing the past. What has happened has happened, if you will forgive the tautology. This is as true of a bus accident as it is of anything else. Where a solid law firm can come into play is in ensuring victims of such accidents are rightly compensated for the pain they endured and any ensuing suffering. And though reversing damage, trauma, and hardship is beyond our means, we can see to it that justice is served and a fair outcome is realized.
If it should regrettably come to pass that you or a family member has been injured in a bus crash, contact a law firm that knows how best to confront that tragedy from a legal standpoint. There is no harm in seeking consultation, and the benefits to you and your loved ones may well prove worth the time invested. Our track record speaks for itself in that regard, as we are very much in the business of securing just outcomes wherever possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are Trucking Companies Required To Have Full Insurance Coverage In Texas?
- What Happens If Your Car Accident Was Caused By A Tire Blowout?
- Do You Have Right of Way When Backing Out of a Parking Space in Texas?
- What Should You Do After an Injury in a Dallas Car Vs Bicycle Accident
- How Much Can You Receive For Pain And Suffering From An Auto Accident in Texas?