Lewisville Improper Turns Lawyer
Part of being a good driver in Lewisville means knowing how to navigate any type of legal turn. If a driver fails to turn properly off or onto a road or in an intersection, it can lead to a serious accident. If you were injured because another driver made this type of mistake, you’ll want to speak with a Lewisville improper turns lawyer as soon as you can.
Our Dallas car accident lawyers can help you seek compensation for an improper turn accident in Lewisville that was not your fault. We can help you build a strong case based on the details of your accident and what you’ve suffered. We are proud to work on contingency for our clients, which means we don’t charge a fee unless we win you money.
To get started with a FREE, no-obligation consultation today, call us at (469) 998-4069 or reach out through one of our online contact forms. We’ll listen to the details of your case and discuss how we can begin helping you.
Texas Law on Improper Turns
Here are the laws to understand when it comes to making a proper turn as a Texas driver, as outlined under Texas Transportation Code section 545.101.
Turning at an Intersection
When making a right turn at an intersection, a driver should make sure they are as close to the right-hand curb or edge of the road as possible.
When making a left turn at an intersection, a driver should:
- Approach the intersection in the farthest legally available left-hand lane and
- After turning, enter a lane legally available for traffic moving in the direction of the roadway they turned onto
Turning on a Two-Way Road
When a driver is turning left on a two-way street or road, they should use the area of the intersection to the left of the intersection’s center (as long as it’s practicable).
Turning on a One-Way Road
A driver who is coming upon an intersection with a one-way road should turn left as close as possible to the left-hand curb or edge of the road.
The only exceptions to these laws should occur if the Texas Transportation Commission or a local authority for the highway allows the addition of a traffic-control device or requires a different course from the above laws at an intersection.
If you were injured in an accident that you believe was caused by a driver not turning improperly, contact a trusted improper turns lawyer. They will know Texas law and how it applies to your accident. From there, they can help you build a strong case.
What It Means to Make an Improper Turn in Lewisville
Many improper turn accidents result from a driver failing to yield the right-of-way to another driver. The at-fault driver might also:
- Not yield to oncoming traffic that has the right-of-way, resulting in a side-impact or head-on collision
- Not use the proper lane for turning left or right or
- Not use a signal before and when making a left- or right-hand turn
Other drivers must also be careful when navigating around a driver who is preparing to turn. That means following all traffic signs and signals, yielding when the turning driver does have the right-of-way (such as when they have a green turn arrow at an intersection), and staying within the speed limit.
How to Prove Fault in an Accident Caused by an Improper Turn
The best thing you can do after being injured in an improper turn accident is to call an experienced attorney for help. They will work to help you gather evidence like:
- Pictures from the scene of your injuries, your vehicle damage, and the locations of the vehicles involved
- Eyewitness statements to support your claim
- Surveillance camera footage from traffic cameras
- Copies of your medical records
- Cell phone records for the at-fault driver if they were distracted by their phone before the accident
- DUI tests from the at-fault driver if they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Expert testimony
- Recreation of the scene with an accident reconstruction expert
- And much more
To have a successful case, you will need to be able to show that the other driver was negligent in your accident. This is very difficult to do alone, which is why a Lewisville improper turns lawyer will be so valuable to your case.
Your lawyer can also determine the full value of your damages. This is crucial because you don’t want to get stuck paying for any damages that you did not cause. In addition, an experienced lawyer will know how to deal with the other driver’s insurance company if they try to offer you a lowball settlement or intimidate you into accepting too-little money.
To get a FREE consultation with one of our experienced and trusted Lewisville improper turns lawyers today, call (469) 998-4069 or contact us online.
Shared Fault in a Lewisville Improper Turn Accident
Sometimes, more than one driver is at fault for a car accident. If you are worried that you might be partially to blame for the collision, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have a case.
In Texas, injury claims are based on what’s called proportionate responsibility. As long as you are not more than 50% at fault for the accident, you can still seek recovery for a portion of your damages. Your compensation will simply be reduced based on the percentage of fault assigned to you. For example:
- If you suffered $100,000 in damages from an improper turns accident in Lewisville and were found to be 10% at fault, you would still be eligible to recover damages.
- Your total damages would be reduced by 10%, meaning you could still recover $90,000 and would be responsible for the remaining 10%.
- The other driver, if they are found to hold the other 90% of the fault, would be responsible for covering that percentage of your damages.
If the at-fault driver has auto insurance (as they legally should), you will make a claim with their insurer for the damages you suffered. Insurance companies do not like to pay out much on injury claims, which is where your lawyer will step in to fight and negotiate for your compensation rights.
Talk to a Lewisville Improper Turns Lawyer for Free Today
Don’t suffer alone after an accident in Lewisville. At Dallas car accident law firm, we are here to help victims of car accidents all throughout the area. We know how hard it can be to handle the legal side of things after a crash, which is why we want to help.
Our attorneys are known for their great communication with each client, and we are proud to work on contingency. There is no fee for you unless we win your case, so you can begin working with us immediately and not worry about upfront costs.
To get started with a FREE consultation today, call (469) 998-4069 or contact us online.