Free Consultation
No Fees Unless You Collect
Call Us Today (214) 305-8277
You Pay Nothing Unless We Win Your Case!



    First Name

    Last Name



    How Do You Get a Copy of the Police Report For A Car Accident in Dallas?

    Police Report For A Car Accident In Dallas Copy Of The Police Report For A Car Accident In Dallas

    If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Dallas, you’re going to want to get a copy of the police report. That report will likely assign fault for the accident – either you or the other driver, or partial fault for both of you. Determining who is at fault in an accident is very important when it comes to your auto insurance as it determines who pays if someone is injured. If the other driver tells his or her insurance company that you caused the accident, they will deny your claim, unless you have a police report that backs up your claim.

    Unlike other police reports regarding arrests and offenses, the Dallas Police Department does not post crash reports online. According to information on the Dallas PD website:

    • To check the availability of a vehicle crash report, please call (469) 998-4069.
    • Please Note: There are no crash reports online. You must obtain crash reports via mail or in person. Crash reports are faxed or emailed only to Texas law enforcement and judicial agencies.

    How to Get a Copy of a Texas Accident Report

    Throughout the state of Texas, an accident report is officially called a “Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report” but is also known as a CR-3 form. You can get a copy of this form in several ways:

    • Hire a Dallas car accident lawyer who will obtain the accident report for you at no cost.
    • Arrive in person at the Dallas Police Department to get a copy and make payment.
    • Send a written request and payment to the Dallas Police Records Section, 1400 S. Lamar Street, Dallas, TX. 75215.
    • Purchase a digital copy of the accident report through the Texas Department of Transportation Crash Report Online Purchase System.

    Review the CR-3 Form Carefully

    Police reports for car accidents are not always 100% accurate, though, so the sooner you (or your lawyer) get a copy of the CR-3 form, the better. This gives you a chance to correct any inaccuracies. The police department can amend or supplement the accident report with corrected or additional information. But just because they can, doesn’t mean they will. If you think the police report is inaccurate regarding how the car accident actually occurred, an experienced Dallas car accident lawyer may be able to perform an independent accident investigation, including attempting to reconstruct the accident.

    Even reading the CR-3 form can be confusing, if you’re not familiar with them. This is why consulting with a lawyer can be to your benefit. The report will contain several pieces of information, including:

    • The names of the individuals involved in the accident — you, the other driver, and passengers
    • The date and time of the accident
    • The makes and models of the vehicles involved, as well as license plate numbers
    • Insurance information for you and the other driver
    • The exact location of where the accident occurred
    • Injuries, if any
    • Damage to vehicles and property
    • Contributing factors, such as weather, drunk driving, etc.
    • The officer’s narrative of how the accident happened — this is an opinion, but can also include witness reports.
    • A sketch of the accident
    • And more

    The contributing factors section and the officer’s narrative are some of the most important parts of the report, when it comes to determining who was at fault in the accident and which insurance company has to pay out. The officer assigns a number to each factor. Your car accident lawyer can help you decipher what these ratings mean, and how they can affect your insurance claim.

    If you or a loved one has been injured in a Dallas car accident, you don’t have the time or energy to be requesting a police report or fighting with the insurance companies. We can handle all of that so you can focus on your recovery. You may not realize that hiring a personal injury lawyer who specializes in car accidents doesn’t cost you anything up front. You don’t pay anything unless we win your case and get you the settlement you deserve.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Are You Legally Required to Report Any Motor Vehicle Accident in Dallas?

    Under Texas law, if someone is injured, or the damage to one or more vehicles is more than $1000, you are required to report the accident to police. The police officer is then required to fill out a Peace Officer’s Crash Report (CR-3 form).

    Talk to Experienced our firm, a Dallas car accident law firm, for Free

    If you or a family member has been injured in an accident, consulting with one of our experienced Dallas car accident lawyers can help you decide how to move forward. The initial consultation is free and puts you under no obligation. At our initial meeting, we’ll talk with you about the accident, the extent of your injuries, and discuss any offers the insurance company has already made.

    Call us today at (469) 998-4069 or use our contact form and someone will get back with you quickly.

    copy of police report

    Call (214) 305-8277 for your free consultation.
    Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    - A +
    (214) 305-8277 Email