Spark Causes Explosion At A Natural Gas Refueling Station
Investigators are blaming a worn battery cable for an explosion at a compressed natural gas refueling station in Halton City. The fire caused a total of 10 garbage trucks to catch fire and explode on Tuesday, January 28th.
CBS Local in Dallas Fort Worth reports that Halton City firefighters were called to the neighborhood near the intersection of Beach Street and Stanley Keller Road at approximately 9:00 p.m. Because of the scale of the fire, they were joined by fire crews from both Fort Worth and North Richland Hills to the fight the blaze.
According to Halstom Fire Rescue Deputy Chief, Fredd Napp, the fire caused the fuel tanks in four of the garbage trucks to explode, causing seven more garbage trucks to catch fire.
After an investigation, fire officials determined that a worn battery cable sparked the fire on one of the garbage trucks. The fire then spread to the fuel tanks of the trucks and the natural gas facility. Employees at the gas company were able to shut off the gas line. No injuries were reported.
According to investigators, the quick reaction on the part of the firefighters prevented the situation from becoming much worse. We are thankful for their efforts!