Keep your Children Safe from Vehicles
A child had been seriously injured after being accidentally run over by a family member late Tuesday afternoon. Balch Police Department officials said in a statement that the two-year old girl’s family was moving furniture out of a home in the 2700 block of Beach when the toddler wandered out of an open door and into the path of the vehicle.
The child was airlifted to Children’s Medical Center of Dallas for treatment. The child’s name and her current condition have not been released.
Parents worry about their children constantly. When a child is hurt, nothing can ease the anxiety and suffering of a parent whose child has been tragically injured in an accident. There are ways that parents can lessen the chance of a backup accident and to keep their child safe from danger. These steps include:
- Getting into the habit of checking by walking behind your vehicle prior to getting into the car or moving it.
- When backing up any vehicle, and especially in a truck or SUV, visibility is challenged. Be sure to check your mirrors and move slowly.
- Make sure that all children in the vicinity are in full view or safely inside before putting the vehicle into gear. Be certain that children know that when you are in the car, they need to stay away. Having another adult present to supervise the children is helpful. Know where the children are!
- Make sure that children understand that even if a vehicle is parked it still could possibly move and hurt them.
- Teach your children to never play in, around or behind any vehicle. Even if you doubt a vehicle has any chance of rolling when it is parked, be sure to always set the emergency brake and make sure that it is in good working order.
- Driveways, parking lots and carports are tempting places for children to play. Keep toys, games and sports equipment safely away from these areas.
- Keep vehicles locked at all times, even in the garage or driveway, and keep all sets of keys away from and out of the reach of children.
If you, your child or a loved one has been involved in an accident, having an experienced lawyer working for you is important. Our attorneys are supportive and mindful of potentially tragic situations. We will take the necessary time to explain all possible options to help with medical and treatment costs, as well as pain and suffering. Give our offices a call. Your initial consultation is both confidential and without cost or obligation to you.